Hopkins willing to fight Froch at catchweight in the UK

froch#7Recently, IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch said he would only be willing to fight 48-year-old IBF light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins at a catchweight rather than moving up 7 pounds to face the nearly 50-year-old Hopkins at the full weight for the division.

Froch felt that he needed a catchweight before he could face Hopkins. Well, Hopkins says he’s agreeable to fighting Froch at a catchweight and he’s even willing to let the fight take place in the UK.

continue

Matthysse and Peterson saving money on sanctioning fees on Saturday with no titles on the line

matthysse324Neither IBF light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson (31-1-1, 16 KO’s) or WBC interim light welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse (33-2, 31 KO’s) will have their titles on the line for their fight this Saturday, May 18th on Showtime at the Boardwalk Hall, in Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA.

Matthysse, 30, didn’t want to have his interim WBC title on the line for fear that he would lose out on his chance to get a fight against WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia in the fall if he gets beaten by Peterson on Saturday.

continue

Peterson totally unafraid of Matthysse

matthysse45If you ask IBF light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson (31-1-1, 15 KO’s) if he’s worried about what he’s going to be facing this Saturday night when he steps inside the ring to mix it up against the power punching Lucas Matthysse (33-2, 31 KO’s), he’d probably laugh because he has absolutely no fear of Mattysse at all.

Indeed, Peterson is so confident in his ability to take Matthysse’s shots and beat him that it’s hard to believe in him. Peterson looks, talks and acts like a winner.

continue

Bradley vs. Marquez on September 14th unless Mayweather fights on that date, says Arum

marquez44Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is holding September 14th for an HBO pay per view fight between WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley (30-0, 12 KO’s) and Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KO’s) unless Floyd Mayweather Jr. decides to fight on that date, in which case Arum will move the Bradley-Marquez fight to another day, according to Steve Kim.

The Bradley-Marquez fight will take place at the Thomas & Mack Center, in Las Vegas, Nevada, and the fight isn’t nearly big enough to compete against a Mayweather fight. Arum has no other choice but to move off the September 14th date if Mayweather fights unless he wants to have low numbers for the Bradley-Marquez fight in terms of buys.

continue

Mosley-Cano this Saturday, May 18th: Sugar Shane on comeback trail

cano54Still not willing to end his long 20-year pro career, 41-year-old Shane Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KO’s) will be back in this ring this Saturday night against the young 23-year-old powerful but deeply flawed Pablo Cesar Cano (26-2-1, 20 KO’s) in a scheduled 12 round bout at the Grand Oasis Resort in Cancun, Mexico.

Surely if Mosley can’t win this fight he should retire, right? Probably not. Mosley will likely keep trucking along with his career win or lose against Cano, and you have to wonder what’ll take for him to finally retire. Cano has losses to Paulie Malignaggi and a way past his best Erik Morales. Cano took a real beating by Morales I getting stopped in the 10th round in September 2011.

continue

Deontay Wilder apologizes to UK fans for travel problems for Chisora fight

wilder364Unbeaten heavyweight Deontay Wilder (28-0, 28 KO’s) showed his class in apologizing to his UK boxing fans for his possible problems with traveling to the UK right now to face Dereck Chisora (16-4, 10 KO’s) next month on June 15th.

The Chisora-Deontay fight was announced last week, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen next month unless Deontay can take care of his legal problems from his arrest on May 4th for domestic battery.

Deontay said on his twitter: “To my UK fans I am super sorry guys may have some travel issues I didn’t know about. I may not be able to go to England right now.”

continue

Mayweather has little time to select his next opponent for September

floyd#21Floyd Mayweather Jr. has little more than weeks to select his next opponent for his pay per view bout on September 14th if he wants Golden Boy Promotions and Showtime/CBS to be able to market the fight for it to be successful. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says he’s in talks with WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

Showtime boss Stephen Espinosa told ESPN “I’m cautiously optimistic. There’s a lot of negotiating left to do, but often the biggest hurdle is convincing one fighter or the other to take the fight. That hurdle has been cleared. I truly believe Mayweather wants Caneo and that Canelo wants Mayweather, and that’s half the battle.”

continue

Why doesn’t Canelo fight Mayweather at 147?

canelo22WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wants and needs a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26 KO’s) in order for Canelo to transition from being just a regular Showtime fighter to a pay per view fighter. However, Canelo expects Mayweather to go back up to 154 to fight him if he says yes to a fight in September instead of Canelo dropping a little weight and fighting Mayweather at 147.

Robert Garcia, the well-known trainer of Brandon Rios and many other fighters, doesn’t think Mayweather should up in weight to fight Canelo because he sees the 22-year-old Mexican as being too heavy for Mayweather.

continue

Mayweather dominates Guerrero; Mares stops De Leon

YouTube video
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26 KO’s) totally dominated Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (31-2-1, 18 KO’s) by a 12 round unanimous decision at the MGM Grand, Grand Garden Arena, in Las Vegas, Nevada. The judges all had the fight scored 117-111, 117-111, 117-111.

Mayweather was too slick, too quick and too good for Guerrero. His fast hands were too much for Guerrero and had him fighting in a cautious manner instead of his usual aggressive manner. When he did try and come forward, Guerrero kept walking into hard right hands. Mayweather was in complete control of the fight.

Mayweather looked like he was in the process of breaking Guerrero in the 8th round when he was hammering him with right hands. Mayweather didn’t continue to tag Guerrero with big right hands after this found. Mayweather later revealed that he had injured his right hand and he couldn’t use to try and finish Guerrero off.

continue