Peter Quillin v Michael Zerafa on for September 12th

Peter Quillin v Michael Zerafa on for September 12th

It won’t be welcome news to anybody complaining about a lack of meaningful fights from PBC, but former WBO 160 lb champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin will face the unheralded and little known Australian fighter Michael Zerafa on September 12th in Connecticut on a PBC on NBC card that will also feature unbeaten Jermell Charlo squaring off against IBF 154 lb champion Cornelius “K-9” Bundrage.

Quillin, who missed weight in his last fight – a draw against “Irish” Andy Lee in April, hasn’t been the most active of late, for various reasons fighting only 4x (inc. Lee) in the last 2 years, and is looking to set up a showdown with WBA (reg) 160 lb champ and fellow New Yorker Daniel Jacobs for early next year.

continue

Frankie Gavin says Brook Will Beat Khan If and When the Fight Happens

Frankie Gavin says Brook Will Beat Khan If and When the Fight Happens

Britain’s former world amateur champion Frankie Gavin, who was soundly beaten by Kell Brook in his challenge to the IBF welterweight champion back in May, has tipped the Sheffield man to beat Amir Khan should the all-British mega-fight finally come off next year.

Khan has recently been snubbed once again by Floyd Mayweather, who fights Andre Berto in September, and is still stubbornly refusing to fight Brook until he fights what he deems “a big enough name.”

continue

Amir Khan: Mayweather is Being ‘Childish’ & ‘Cherry Picking’ His Fights / Wants to Fight Pacquiao Now Instead

Amir Khan: Mayweather is Being 'Childish' & 'Cherry Picking' His Fights / Wants to Fight Pacquiao Now Instead

There can’t have been many fighters more disappointed than Britain’s Amir Khan when the Mayweather/Berto fight was officially announced earlier this week.

Khan, a former Olympic silver medalist and 140 lb world champion, has been desperately and very publicly trying to goad Floyd into a fight with him for the better part of 2 years, yet has found himself being consistently overlooked by “Money” throughout that time.

continue

Mayweather: Attempting to Justify the Andre Berto (Cherry) Pick

Mayweather: Attempting to Justify the Andre Berto (Cherry) Pick

Especially since he dropped the “Pretty Boy” and became “Money,” Floyd Mayweather has always had an air of “I don’t give a sh** what you think” about him.

Whether it be regarding his appalling record of violence against women, repeated racist comments (re Pacquiao/Filipino’s) or particularly this flagrant Andre Berto cherry-pick, Mayweather – and the sycophantic yes men who surround him (Chief of whom is Leonard Ellerbe)- ostensibly cares not what the public thinks.

At the first official presser to announce the fight on Thursday, this was more evident than ever in his bold attempts to justify Berto for this “final” fight of his long and illustrious career.

continue

Eddie Hearn Keeping Options Open Re: Scott Quigg / Holding Talks With Bob Arum

Eddie Hearn Keeping Options Open Re: Scott Quigg / Holding Talks With Bob Arum

Matchroom Boxing boss Eddie Hearn has revealed he is set to hold talks with Top Rank’s Bob Arum next week regarding a potential November fight between former 4 division world champion Nonito Donaire and Britain’s own WBA (reg) 122lb champion, Scott Quigg.

While a fight with IBF super bantamweight champion Carl Frampton remains the preferred option for Hearn and Quigg, if it can still not be made then Hearn is keen to keep his options open and deems the 32 yr old Donaire a viable alternative option for the Bury man.

continue

Anthony Dirrell v Marco Antonio Rubio on for September 6th

Anthony Dirrell v Marco Antonio Rubio on for September 6th

Michigan’s former WBC 168 lb champion Anthony Dirrell has confirmed that he will return to the ring on September 6th against Mexican veteran Marco Antonio Rubio in Corpus Christi, Texas.

After being upset back in April in a voluntary defence of his title against Sweden’s Badou Jack, it’s expected Dirrell should have too much for the 35 yr old Rubio, who is moving up from 160 lbs following his knockout loss to big-hitting Kazakh knockout artist Gennady Golovkin last October.

continue

George Groves: “I’ve Seen Nothing in Badou Jack to Trouble Me” / Looking for Statement Win

George Groves: "I've Seen Nothing in Badou Jack to Trouble Me" / Looking for Statement Win

Britain’s former 2x super middleweight world title challenger George Groves says that he sees nothing to trouble him when he faces Vegas-based Swede & WBC champion Badou Jack on the Mayweather/Berto undercard, hoping to make it 3rd time lucky with regard his world title dreams.

Groves sadly came up short in back to back world title challenges to Nottingham’s recently retired Carl Froch, despite dumping the notoriously granite-chinned “Cobra” on his backside in their first encounter, yet is convinced that this time the world title is there for the taking.

Speaking at yesterday’s presser, a dapperly dressed Groves, said;

continue

Sergey Kovalev v Artur Beterbiev Is a No-Go

Sergey Kovalev v Artur Beterbiev Is a No-Go

It shouldn’t really come as much of a surprise but, Kathy Duva – promoter of WBA/WBO & IBF 175 lb champion Sergey Kovalev – is not going to get her sought-after Thanksgiving dust-up in Moscow between her man and fellow Russian puncher Artur Beterbiev.

Duva had stated after Kovalev battered mandatory challenger Nadjib Mohammedi that she was taking the “Krusher” to Moscow in November, and had approached Beterbiev’s promoter Yvon Michel about the fight.

In an email to Duva yesterday, Michel politely refused Main Events “honest offer” which would have guaranteed the (9-0, 9ko) Beterbiev a career high half million dollar payday, although he refused to rule out the fight possibly happening in the future.

continue

Kenny Porter: ‘Broner’s Like a Little Kid Who’s Out of Control’ / Doubts He Wants to Rematch Shawn

Kenny Porter: 'Broner's Like a Little Kid Who's Out of Control' / Doubts He Wants to Rematch Shawn

Former IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter got the better of Ohioan rival and professional motor-mouth Adrien Broner back in June, outclassing and out hustling “The Problem” who never really got going until scoring a 12th round knockdown – a case of too little, too late.

As his son now waits for news on his next fight, father and trainer Kenny has spoken out to say he very much doubts that Broner would want any part of a rematch, calling him an “actor” who couldn’t play the part of a fighter when he got in the ring with Shawn.

continue

Jamie McDonnell vs Tomoki Kameda II on for 6th September in Texas

Jamie McDonnell vs Tomoki Kameda II on for 6th September in Texas

It was confirmed last night that British WBA (reg) bantamweight champion Jamie McDonnell will return to Texas to battle Japan’s Tomoki Kameda for a second time, following his hard fought victory back in May in which he earned the unanimous decision after hitting the deck in the 3rd from a huge Kameda right hand.

Showing some real grit, McDonnell battled back, got back to his boxing and eventually took the fight by scores of 114-113 (x3) in the face of some quality work from the Japanese fighter. It was a score that accurately reflected how close the fight was first time round, and manager Dave Coldwell – who cornered McDonnell for the fight due to regular trainer Dave Hulley’s fear of flying – tweeted the confirmation last night.

continue