“High Stakes” For Scott Quigg Against Kiko Martinez On Saturday

"High Stakes" For Scott Quigg Against Kiko Martinez On Saturday

WBA (reg) super bantamweight champion Scott Quigg knows he will be in for the fight of his life on Saturday night against former IBF 122 lb boss Kiko Martinez in Manchester, topping the Matchroom Sport double world title “High Stakes” card alongside stablemate Anthony Crolla, who challenges for the WBA 135 lb title against Colombian Darleys Perez.

The Joe Gallagher trained Quigg is under no illusions that he will need a career best performance in front of the partisan Manchester crowd, as Spaniard Martinez is a seasoned road warrior, more than used to boxing – and winning – away from home.

continue

Carl Frampton Promising Exciting American Debut

Carl Frampton Promising Exciting American Debut

This Saturday in El Paso, Texas, Belfast’s IBF super bantamweight champion Carl Frampton makes his debut on American soil, defending his title for the 2nd time against Mexican Alejandro Gonzalez Jr as part of Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions on CBS/ITV in the UK.

The fight represents the first step in bolstering Frampton’s international reputation, and “The Jackal” said at yesterday’s media workout that he is relishing the opportunity to showcase his skills in front of a new, larger audience.

continue

Anthony Crolla Gunning For Glory Against Darleys Perez

YouTube video
This Saturday night in Manchester, one of British boxing’s most likable characters, Anthony Crolla, attempts to cap off a difficult 7 months with a fairy tale ending, by capturing the WBA (reg) lightweight strap against dangerous Colombian Darleys Perez.

Crolla’s fighting career was in serious danger of ending last December, when he was attacked after foiling a burglary attempt at a neighbour’s home – an incident that left him with a fractured skull, a broken ankle, and a whole lot of uncertainty as to whether he would ever even box again.

continue

Andre Ward On Froch: ‘He Retired At The Right Time’

Andre Ward On Froch: 'He Retired At The Right Time'

California’s WBA (super) 168 lb champion Andre Ward, who comprehensively outclassed Carl Froch in December 2011 as part of ‘The Super Six’ final, has spoken out to wish his old foe all the best in his retirement, telling Sky Sports that “The Cobra” has left the game at the right time.

The classy American, who demolished Britain’s Paul Smith last month, had some respectful words for his old rival – wishing him all the best for the future;

“You have to respect the way he went about it, and the fact he not only stepped up but beat just about all the guys he fought at the top level” said Ward.

continue

Amir Khan: Still Desperately Seeking Floyd

Amir Khan: Still Desperately Seeking Floyd

There is still hope for Amir Khan landing the fight he’s been chasing for the better part of 2 1/2 years against Floyd Mayweather – at least in his own mind.

In the wake of the news that Florida’s Andre Berto looks to be the man gloving up to face Mayweather in September, Khan has spoken out yet again to insist it’s not over until the fat lady sings, and until Berto is “officially” announced as Floyd’s opponent, he refuses to give up hope of getting that career-high payday.

Once again insisting the boxing world wants him to face Floyd, Khan said to Sky Sports in his classic, self indulgent, 3rd person style;

continue

Kiko Martinez Confident Of Beating Scott Quigg

Kiko Martinez Confident Of Beating Scott Quigg

Spain’s former IBF super bantamweight champion Kiko Martinez fights WBA (reg) 122 lb champion Scott Quigg in Manchester on Saturday night, headlining Matchroom’s ‘High Stakes’ card, and ‘La Sensacion’ is feeling in a confident mood, telling Sky Sports that not only does he have the beating of Quigg, he believes Northern Ireland’s Carl Frampton has his number too.

Quigg and Frampton are on an eventual collision course, with negotiations between them having broken down recently, and Martinez, who lost to Frampton twice, thinks that’s probably a good thing for Quigg, who he cannot see beating the Irishman.

continue

Floyd WASN’T Joking With Berto? / Snr Not Impressed

Floyd WASN'T Joking With Berto? / Snr Not Impressed

When Floyd Mayweather said recently that he was considering Karim Mayfield and Andre Berto as potential opponents for September, many people didn’t take him too seriously.

“Surely not?” was the natural response, yet it’s now starting to look like increasingly likely that the Florida man will indeed be getting the call, with a strong rumour emerging that the fight will take place on September 15, a Tuesday, on CBS, as part of Floyd’s “final” fight of his contract with Showtime, who are part of the CBS corporation.

If this is indeed true, then someone should direct Amir Khan to the nearest tall building as he’ll surely wish to throw himself off of it, having already tweeted his support regardless.

continue

Andy Lee: Saunders Fights With Tenacity & Passion, I Will Have To Beat It Out Of Him

Andy Lee: Saunders Fights With Tenacity & Passion, I Will Have To Beat It Out Of Him

“I’m very proud to bring this fight Limerick” were the words of WBO 160 lb champion Andy Lee earlier today, when his September 19th fight with unbeaten mandatory challenger Billy Joe Saunders was officially announced via a press conference at Thomond Park, Ireland.

Lee, who won his title against dangerous Russian puncher Matty Korobov last December, spoke to iFLtv to talk about the history making bout, which will be the first time that two men of traveller origins have contested a version of a world title – and in his eyes, there will be only one winner.

Sadly for the fighters involved, and Queensbury promotions – who look after Saunders – today’s presser was slightly overshadowed by (Matchroom Sport promoted) Carl Froch’s retirement announcement, which someone more cynical than myself, might have considered a deliberate move?

continue

Chris Arreola Promising Excitement On Saturday

Chris Arreola Promising Excitement On Saturday

This Saturday sees the return of “The Nightmare” Chris Arreola, fighting in a 10 round contest against relative unknown Fred Kassi in El Paso, Texas on the undercard of Carl Frampton’s IBF 122 lb title defence against Mexico’s Alejandro Gonzalez Jr.

The now 34 year old Mexican-American heavyweight is at something of a dead-end in terms of his career, following the peak five or six years ago, that saw him fail in a challenge to then-WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in September 2009.

His most recent world title challenge 14 months ago, a rematch with ex-champ Bermane Stiverne, also ended in failure, with Arreola now seemingly reduced to gate-keeper status in boxing’s marquee division.

continue

Scott Quigg Eyeing Future Nonito Donaire Clash

Scott Quigg Eyeing Future Nonito Donaire Clash

This Saturday night on Matchroom Sports “High Stakes” card from Manchester, WBA (reg) champion Scott Quigg will enter the toughest fight of his professional career when he fights former IBF super bantamweight champion Kiko Martinez.

Assuming he comes through that fight, his trainer Joe Gallagher has spoken to Sky Sports to suggest that a clash with Belfast’s Carl Frampton is still a long way off after negotiations broke down recently, and that a fight with 4 weight world champion Nonito Donaire is the more realistic option for his fighter.

“If he gets past Martinez, it’ll be Nonito Donaire. It won’t be Carl Frampton. The problem with that is Barry McGuigan.” said Gallagher.

continue