When they met in May of 2011, James DeGale and George Groves were fresh, young and unbeaten super-middleweight prospects. A whole lot has happened since the majority decision win picked up by Groves. Of the two, DeGale has managed to become a world champion, currently holding the IBF crown he won by defeating Anthony Dirrell last year, while Groves has thrice fallen short: losing two massive fights with Carl Froch and, more recently, being out-pointed by Badou Jack.
Badou Jack
The Case for a Draw in Jack vs Bute
By Boxing’s Devil’s Advocate, Daniel M Webster – Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, today I intend to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the majority draw decision in the Badou Jack vs Lucian Bute fight is a perfectly acceptable outcome. It is true that the decision was initially met with shock, dismay and outrage. After what appeared to be 12 dominating rounds, Badou Jack found himself having to settle for a draw against former champion Lucian Bute. “How could such a thing have happened?”, you might ask yourself. Surely this is a sign of incompetent judging, as Teddy Atlas so often professes; the kind of thing that is killing this great sport of ours. I am sorry to shatter the illusions of conspiracy and corruption, but this was neither the result of unscrupulous promoters, greased palms, or underworld influence. Lucian Bute received a draw in this fight simply because two of the three judges objectively believed he won 6 of the 12 contested rounds.
Badou Jack and James DeGale Unification Bout Still In Tact Despite Controversy in DC
By Justin Jones – Washington, DC — Current Super Middleweight titleholders James DeGale, IBF Champ,(23-1, 14 KOs)and Badou Jack, WBC Champ,(20-1-2, 12 KOs)can now shift their focus on each other –late summer or early fall showdown – after neither fighter relinquished their belts last night at the DC Armory.
DeGale and Jack were the favorites going into their semifinal matchups of the Showtime-proclaimed 4-man 168-pound tournament, but neither fighter had an easy go at it. DeGale earned the unanimous decision (117-111, 116-112, 115-113)over a very game Rogelio Medina (36-7, 30 KOs), who pushed DeGale to the limit. Some ringside and many of the 4,135 people in attendance (booing loudly) thought the score of 115-113 was a more just score and more aligned with how the fight actually played out. Even DeGale was critical of his performance post-fight.
Jack fights to draw against Bute
Badou Jack retained his WBC Super Middleweight title in a controversial draw against Lucian Bute Saturday on SHOWTIME, setting up a fall unification with IBF champion James DeGale, who defended his IBF crown against Rogelio Medina in the opening bout of the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast from the DC Armory.
“Let’s unify the decision and see who the best is,” DeGale said to Jack in a post-fight interview moderated by SHOWTIME Sports reporter Jim Gray.
Jack-Bute ends in draw; DeGale defeats Medina
(Photo credit: Esther Lin/SHOWTIME) WBC super middleweight champion Badou Jack (20-1-1, 12 KOs) came up empty on Saturday night in having to settle for a 12 round draw against the hard working former IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (32-3-1, 25 KOs) at the DC Armory in Washington, DC. The scores were 117-111, 114-114 and 114-114.
With the fight being scored a draw, Jack retains his WBC title. He said he won’t be giving Bute a rematch because he believes he won. Jack said he’ll be facing IBF champion James DeGale next in a unification fight.
Photos: DeGale-Medina & Jack-Bute weigh in

Weigh-In Results:
Badou Jack – 167 ½ Pounds
Lucian Bute – 167 Pounds
James DeGale – 167 ½ Pounds
Rogelio Medina – 167 ¾ Pounds
Badou Jack and Lucian Bute talk about April 30 fight
(Photo credit: InterBox) LAS VEGAS (April 18, 2016) – WBC Super Middleweight World Champion Badou Jack and former world champion Lucian Bute hosted media workouts at their respective training camps last week to discuss their Saturday, April 30 world title showdown live on SHOWTIME from the DC Armory in Washington, D.C.
The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® doubleheader begins at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT with IBF Super Middleweight World Champion James DeGale defending his title against top contender Rogelio Medina.
Badou Jack – Lucian Bute press conference quotes
(Credit: Vincent Ethier / InterBox) MONTREAL, April 7th 2016 – A press conference to discuss the WBC super-middleweight world championship bout between Lucian Bute and Badou Jack was held Wednesday at the Bell Centre La Cage – Brasserie sportive restaurant In Montreal. Here is what the participants had to say.
Lucian Bute
Former IBF super middleweight world champion
Badou Jack – Lucian Bute quotes
(Photo credit: Stephanie Trapp/Mayweather Promotions) WASHINGTON, D.C. (April 4, 2016) – WBC Super Middleweight World Champion Badou Jack and former world champion Lucian Bute hosted a media roundtable on Friday night to discuss their championship showdown taking place Saturday, April 30 from the DC Armory in Washington, D.C. and live on SHOWTIME.
The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® telecast begins at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT with IBF Super Middleweight World Champion James DeGale defending his title against top contender and Mexican brawler Rogelio Medina.
Jack-Bute & DeGale-Medina on 4/30 on Showtime
NEW YORK (March 28, 2016) – A three-fight series to crown a unified divisional champion will begin on Saturday, April 30, when WBC 168-pound champion Badou Jack defends his title against former longtime titlist Lucian Bute, and IBF Champion James DeGale risks his belt against mandated challenger Rogelio Medina in a SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING doubleheader live on SHOWTIME (10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT) from the DC Armory in Washington D.C.