Deontay Wilder faces Chris Arreola on 7/16 – It’s official!

Deontay Wilder faces Chris Arreola on 7/16 - It's official!

BIRMINGHAM, AL (June 13, 2016) – Undefeated heavyweight world champion Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder (36-0, 35 KOs) will defend his title in his home state when he battles two-time world title challenger Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (36-4-1, 31 KOs) in the main event of Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) on FOX and FOX Deportes Saturday, July 16 from Legacy Arena at the BJCC in Birmingham, Alabama with televised coverage beginning at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.

Tickets for the event, which is promoted by DiBella Entertainment and TGB Promotions in association with Bruno Event Team, start at only $20 and go on sale tomorrow. For tickets please visit www.alabamatitlefight.com and www.ticketmaster.com.

continue

Who has the tougher upcoming title defence: Wilder or Joshua?

Who has the tougher upcoming title defence: Wilder or Joshua?

There is plenty to like about both unbeaten Deontay Wilder, the reigning WBC heavyweight king, and unbeaten Anthony Joshua, holder of course of the IBF strap, and there are some similarities between the two. Both big men are still somewhat green at the highest pro level and both have been called a champion is progress by the experts. Both men have real punching power, and already, fans and a few of these experts are talking about a potential unification showdown between the two that would be absolutely massive.

continue

When will we see Deontay Wilder really step up?

When will we see Deontay Wilder really step up?

By John Hoolan: So with his proposed mandated fight against Povetkin falling through it now looks like Wilder will return to type and have an “easy” defence. Current names in the frame are Chris Arreola (third time lucky at the heavyweight belt), Gerald Washington and even Antonio Tarver has now thrown his name into the hat. Whilst the pullout of Alexander Povetkin due to a positive test for a banned substance wasn’t Wilder or his team’s fault, he must surely fight a name, somebody that will push him? Povetkin would have been his toughest opponent, now we are left with nothingness…

continue

Lou DiBella says no opponent yet picked for Wilder’s upcoming voluntary, confirms it will not be David Haye

Lou DiBella says no opponent yet picked for Wilder’s upcoming voluntary, confirms it will not be David Haye

Though Mexican/American contender and former two-time world heavyweight title challenger Chris Arreola is, according to a number of sources, the current frontrunner to face WBC champ Deontay Wilder in his upcoming voluntary defence, promoter Lou DiBella has said that so far no choice of opponent has been decided. DiBella, speaking with Sky Sports, discussed the fact that the available opponents for the fight, targeted for July, consist of “slim pickings.”

continue

Chris Arreola the frontrunner to face Deontay Wilder next, sources say

Chris Arreola the frontrunner to face Deontay Wilder next, sources say

According to a number of publications – The LA Times and RingTV.com to name just two – Mexican/American heavyweight Chris Arreola is very much in the frame to challenge WBC king Deontay Wilder in Wilder’s next fight, his fourth voluntary title defence. In fact, Lance Pugmire of The LA Times, in revealing info he has received from “two officials close to the situation but unauthorised to speak publicly about the talk,” writes how Arreola is Wilder’s choice as far as his next challenger.

continue

Gerald Washington cuts short his vacation to prepare for shot at Deontay Wilder

Gerald Washington cuts short his vacation to prepare for shot at Deontay Wilder

In a story that neatly follows on from the article regarding just who WBC heavyweight king Deontay Wilder – who has been granted the right to take a voluntary defence in light of what happened with his mandatory defence against Alexander Povetkin – will fight next, unbeaten Gerald Washington has revealed how he has cut short a vacation in Hawaii so as to get back in the gym and prepare for what he calls an opportunity he has been waiting for for a long time.

continue

With Wilder permitted another voluntary title defence, fans are wondering who the WBC champ will fight next

With Wilder permitted another voluntary title defence, fans are wondering who the WBC champ will fight next

As fight fans are sure to be aware, reigning WBC heavyweight king Deontay Wilder has been granted permission by the Mauricio Sulaiman-led organisation to make another voluntary defence while the whole Alexander Povetkin mess gets thoroughly investigated. Sulaiman wrote, in his official statement regarding the situation that saw the May 21st Wilder-Povetkin mandatory fight get called off (whether or not it has been called off for good remains to be seen) how Wilder, “has the right to make a voluntary defence of his title as reasonably soon as possible.”

continue

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder are Anthony Joshua’s “top priority now” says Hearn

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder are Anthony Joshua’s “top priority now” says Hearn

Anthony Joshua wants to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. In order to make this dream – one he has had since he was a young kid – come true, Joshua must beat fellow unbeaten talent Tyson Fury (linear king and WBA, WBO ruler) and Deontay Wilder (the WBC boss). Technically, even this amazing feat would not make Joshua, who already holds the IBF belt, the sole claimant to the heavyweight throne, as we currently have two other men (Ruslan Chagaev and Luis Ortiz) holding a version of the WBA belt.

continue

Luis Ortiz wants Deontay Wilder after Alexander Ustinov defence

Luis Ortiz wants Deontay Wilder after Alexander Ustinov defence

With his intriguing, arguably career-toughest fight with Alexander Povetkin having fallen apart due to well-documented reasons seemingly everyone is aware of, WBC heavyweight king Deontay Wilder moves on – but to what fight? Wilder wasted a lot of time and money setting up two camps for the Russian test/mandatory defence, and it’s likely he isn’t in the best of moods right about now as a result of getting absolutely zero for his efforts. This could be bad news for “The Bronze Bomber’s” next foe, whoever it may be.

continue

Showtime boss says Wilder-Joshua mega-fight should happen “within next 12-18 months”

Showtime boss says Wilder-Joshua mega-fight should happen “within next 12-18 months”

With Deontay Wilder’s potentially exciting mandatory defence against Alexander Povetkin now off – due to the Russian star coming up positive for an illegal substance in case anyone didn’t know – fans are wondering who WBC heavyweight king Wilder will fight next. Next in line in the WBC rankings is Bermane Stiverne, the man Wilder beat back in January of 2015 to take the green belt. Could we soon be seeing a rematch?

continue