Deontay Wilder vs. Malik Scott: The road to the heavyweight title

Deontay Wilder vs. Malik Scott: The road to the heavyweight title

By B.J. Garnett: The March 15th WBC heavyweight eliminator bout between Deontay Wilder and Malik Scott is one of the more exciting fights to be made in the last few years. It is considered a step up fight for Wilder and a last chance of sorts for Malik Scott. While Scott more experienced and one of the best pure boxers in the division, his lack of pop is truly a evident and as it was nearly impossible to keep these 250lb guys off you when you can’t get their respect.

With Wilder, pop isn’t a problem. Thirty knock outs in thirty fights will leave no question about the pop but people want to know if he is a one trick pony or will he be able to keep this up against the top competition in the division.

continue

Deontay Wilder to get title shot if he beats Malik Scott on March 15th

Deontay Wilder to get title shot if he beats Malik Scott on March 15th

After 6 years as a professional, #3 WBC Deontay Wilder (30-0, 30 KO’s) is on the cusp of fighting for a heavyweight world title if he can beat Malik Scott (36-1-1, 13 KO’s) on March 15th at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez, Bayamon, Puerto Rico. The Wilder-Scott fight will be a WBC eliminator bout, and the winner of that fight will be getting a title shot in 2014 against either Chris Arreola or Bermane Stiverne, depending which one of these guys emerge as the winner of their fight for the vacant WBC title in April or May.

“I’m totally capable of being a world champion, just like Emanuel Steward once said that I would,” Deontay said to RingTV. “It’s going to be most important that, come March 15, I display something that I never have before and that I show the world that Deontsy Wilder has really arrived now and that I’m really to be the world champion.”

continue

Malik Scott-Deontay Wilder in the works for March

Malik Scott-Deontay Wilder in the works for March

Fans have been wanting to see exciting KO artist Deontay Wilder take a step up in competition for some time now, and it looks as though these fans will get what they want this coming March. According to a news piece in The Tuscaloosa News, the 30-0(30) heavyweight contender will face the world ranked and highly skilled Malik Scott on March 15th.

“I can tell you it’s a fight we hope gets made,” Jay Deas, Wilder’s trainer told the publication. “It’s a great fight for both guys and hopefully a great fight for the fans. I’m hopeful it will [happen].”

Wanting to know more, I contacted Malik Scott, who improved to 36-1-1(13) last night with a rust-removing 2nd-round TKO over Grover Young. The win over Young was Scott’s first fight back since his controversial (counted out in the act of rising and appearing to be up before the count of “ten” in the 6th-round) fight with Dereck Chisora at Wembley. And Scott did confirm to me that he is all set to fight his friend Wilder next.

continue

Fury saying he wants Deontay Wilder

deontay32 - Copy (2)Recently British heavyweight Tyson Fury (21-0, 15 KO’s) had been telling anyone that cared to listen to him that he wanted to fight Golden Boy fighter Deontay Wilder (30-0, 30 KO’s), but shortly after Deontay expressed interest in facing him too, Fury said he was retiring from boxing.

Deontay didn’t know what was happening, and neither did Golden Boy Promotions, who had hoped to line up the fight as soon as possible. But now Fury once again is expressing interest in fighting the 6’7″ Wilder, and you have to hope that Fury won’t retire again or disappear when Golden Boy Promotions attempts to put the fight together.

continue

2013 Year End Awards: Fighter of the year, KO of the year, Fight of the year, Upset of the year

002 Mayweather vs Canelo IMG_9443It’s that time of the year again: when fight fans take a look back at what went down in the fistic calendar. 2013 was, in many years one of the best for boxing in a long time. We saw some great action fights, we saw some superb displays of The Sweet Science, we saw a number of electrifying KO’s and we saw our share of controversy.

That said, this writer now gives his picks for the recipients of the following awards:

Fighter of the year. Fight of the year. KO of the year. Upset of the year.

See what you think:

continue

An open letter from Dereck Chisora to Deontay Wilder

chisora34Dear Deontay,

I’m asking you man-to-man and hope that you have the honour and courage to accept my challenge and fight me.

I’m in this business to prove that I’m the best and to become a world champion which I’m sure you are too, so take me up on my challenge and let’s do this and get it on early next year.

I’ll be honest, I don’t rate you. You’ve put together a record of 30 knockouts from 30 fights, but I believe that you are grossly overhyped for knocking over nobodies – which is understandable for the first two years as a pro when you’re learning – but after 30 fights you’re still knocking over nobodies. As a guide I fought Vitali Klitschko for the world title in only my 18th fight. When are you going to step up and fight a real contender?

continue

Video: Peter Fury on Tyson Fury retirement, Haye, Wilder, More; Hughie Fury Interview

YouTube video
Video by britishboxers.co.uk – Peter Fury, the uncle and trainer of unbeaten heavyweight contender Tyson Fury, has has denied the boxer has retired from fighting and will be back in the ring, after having Christmas off in the light of his fight against David Haye being called off for a second time. Fury and Haye were set to go head to head on February 8, at the Manchester Arena after the original September fight was postponed after Haye suffered a cut eye in sparring.

The contracts were signed for early next year, but again, Haye was forced to pull out after having shoulder surgery, putting and end to Fury’s biggest fight and frustrating him to the point that he announced his early retirement after becoming despondent with boxing. Listen to Peter Fury and his views on team Haye after pulling out of the fight again, a potential fight for Tyson Fury against Deonaty Wilder, he slams Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer, tells us about his son Hughies progress, and speaks about his traveller fighting background.

continue

Team Wilder open letter to Team Fury

deontay32 - Copy (2)Tyson, I know you are frustrated with the whole Haye situation. You are a top heavyweight with top people behind you. You want to fight the best and have always stepped up to the plate. Forget retirement. You have a long and bright future in front of you.

We at Team Wilder understand. We believe you and Deontay are the two best young heavyweights in the World and a fight between the two of you would put true heavyweight boxing back on top. We want to make this happen. This is the single biggest heavyweight fight that can be made now and the fans deserve it. You deserve it. Deontay deserves it.

You both should be paid accordingly and in line with the magnitude of the event. Every single person or corporation that would have attended, bought pay per view, sponsored, advertised or otherwise supported you vs. Haye would jump on board for you vs. Wilder.

continue

Tyson Fury Calls Out Deontay Wilder!

deontay5698Ladies and gentlemen, I don’t know about you, but I think the heavyweight division can be exciting once again. The idea is to begin matching up the young guns and letting them go at each other.

There is one thing I’ve noticed in quite a few recent fights involving heavyweights not named Klitschko. The heavyweights are letting their hands go and producing interesting and entertaining fights. It started a few years back on NBC, NBC Sports, and CBS where some up and coming prospects decided to do something that has been missing in years… a thing called PUNCHING! The results of those fights were that the networks signed up for more fights.

continue

Schaefer wants Deontay-Stiverne for WBC heavyweight title

deontay5698Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer expects WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko to vacate his WBC title at any moment now that he’s announced that he plans on running to become the president of Ukraine. Once Vitali’s title becomes vacant, Schaefer’s plans are to match Golden Boy fighter #3 WBC Deontay Wilder (30-0, 30 KO’s) to face #1 WBC Bermane Stiverne (23-1-1, 20 KO’s) for the vacant WBC heavyweight title in early 2014.

Schaefer said this at the post-fight press conference last Saturday following Deontay’s 4th round TKO win over Nicolai Firtha “Deontay is right there at the top 2 or 3 ratings with the WBC. With the news we got last week that Vitali Klitschko is going to be running for the president of the Ukraine, I anticipate that the [WBC] title will become vacant.

continue