DeGale: Pressing on With Plans for Jack Unification

DeGale: Pressing on With Plans for Jack Unification

IBF 168 lb champion, James DeGale, has restated his intention to press on with plans for a unification fight with WBC belt holder, Badou Jack, in the wake of the Londoner’s hard-fought points victory of veteran former champion, Lucian Bute at the weekend.

After a fast start to the fight, ‘Chunky’ had to battle through an aggressive and gutsy showing from a seemingly reinvigorated Bute, who at 35, showed he isn’t a spent force just yet, with the Brit eventually taking the fight over the stretch by UD scores of 117-111 (x2) and 116-112 that were perhaps a little wide for some observers.

continue

James DeGale: “I’m ready for the best in the world”

James DeGale: “I’m ready for the best in the world"

James DeGale defended his IBF Super Middleweight World Championship in a thriller over hometown favorite and former champion Lucian Bute on Saturday in the main event of SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING.

It was the first title defense for DeGale, the 2008 Olympic gold medalist from Britain who went on the road to Boston to win the title earlier this year and chose to defend in hostile territory.

continue

DeGale beats Bute by controversial decision

DeGale beats Bute by controversial decision

IBF super middleweight champion James DeGale (22-1, 14 KOs) retained his IBF title tonight with a less than thrilling 12 round unanimous decision win over 35-year-old Lucian Bute (35-3, 25 KOs) from the Vidéotron Centre in Quebec City, in Quebec, Canada. Bute, 35, had the crowd on his side the entire fight, and they did a good job of motivating him during the championship rounds.

continue

Lucian Bute: ‘The Pressure Is All on DeGale’

Lucian Bute: 'The Pressure Is All on DeGale'

Former super-middleweight world champion, Lucian Bute, claims he is more than focused on his bid to reclaim his old title, meeting current IBF 168 lb belt holder, James DeGale on Saturday night in Quebec, and warning that the pressure is all on the Londoner.

DeGale is travelling to Bute’s Quebec backyard for the maiden defence of his title; his second fight in North America, having won his title in the US back in May against Andre Dirrell.

continue

DeGale: Once Bute feels my power that will be it

DeGale: Once Bute feels my power that will be it

(Photo credit: Amanda Westcott/SHOWTIME) QUEBEC CITY, Canada (Nov. 25, 2015) – Boldly predicting at least a sixth-round finish against hometown favorite Lucian Bute, a confident James DeGale held his IBF Super Middleweight World Championship belt high over his head during the main event press conference in advance of Saturday’s SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING event.

“Gonna be six rounds, but it may be three,” DeGale repeated over and over as the fighters concluded their final shots for a packed room of media members on Wednesday at the Le Bonne Entente Hotel. DeGale (21-1, 14 KOs), from London, England, defends against the popular former 168-pound world champion Bute (32-2, 25 KOs), of Montreal, this Saturday from the Vidéotron Centre in Quebec City, live on SHOWTIME at 11 p.m. ET/PT.

continue

‘I’m Pushing Haymon for Badou Jack Fight’ says James DeGale

'I'm Pushing Haymon for Badou Jack Fight' says James DeGale

IBF super-middleweight champion, James DeGale says he is pleading with advisor Al Haymon to set up a big money fight with WBC champion, Badou Jack after he dispatches Lucien Bute in Quebec on Saturday night.

DeGale takes on a 35-year old Bute, who, along with long-sidelines through injury, is no longer considered to be the fighter and former champion he once was, especially since being dispatched in five ruthless rounds by Carl Froch in 2012, and while ‘Chunky’ says he isn’t overlooking his hometown opponent, he definitely has one eye on bigger fights.

continue

DeGale: ‘Froch is Old News’

DeGale: 'Froch is Old News'

IBF super-middleweight champion, James DeGale, has dismissed all suggestions of Carl Froch ahead of his fight with Lucien Bute in Quebec in 10 days time, saying ‘The Cobra’ is both ‘an old man’ as well as ‘old news.’

DeGale fights former Froch foe Bute, in the maiden defence of the (vacant) belt he won back in May against Andre Dirrell, hoping to better his newly-retired countryman’s own destructive stoppage performance over the Canadian southpaw back in 2012.

continue

DeGale: ‘I Think I’ll Stop Bute in 3’

DeGale: 'I Think I'll Stop Bute in 3'

IBF super middleweight champion, James DeGale (21-1, 14ko) has predicted that he will end veteran Canadian former champion, Lucian Bute (32-2, 25ko) inside 3 rounds when the two square off in Canada at the end of this month.

DeGale will again travel to North America on the 28th, following his title winning effort over Andre Dirrell in Boston back in May, and has told fighthype.com that he is feeling as good as ever and senses a knockout finish against the 35 year old Bute.

continue

James DeGale: I’m the best super middleweight out there

James DeGale: I'm the best super middleweight out there

(Photo Credit: Frank Coppi/Matchroom Boxing) LONDON (Nov. 16, 2015) – Two days before he departs for Canada, IBF Super Middleweight World Champion James “Chunky” DeGale (21-1, 14 KOs) held an open media workout at the Stonebridge Boxing Club in London as he nears completion of a 10-plus week training camp for his title defense against former world champion and Canadian fan favorite, Lucian Bute (32-2, 25 KOs), of Montreal, on Saturday, Nov. 28, live on SHOWTIME (11 p.m. ET/PT) from the Vidéotron Centre of Quebec City.

The event billed as “THE RECLAMATION” is a presentation of Vidéotron in collaboration with Mise-O-Jeu.

continue