Hearn says Joseph Parker is “most likely” for shot at Joshua in November, says Hughie Fury is “unlikely”

Hearn says Joseph Parker is “most likely” for shot at Joshua in November, says Hughie Fury is “unlikely”

There have been a few stories floating around regarding who IBF heavyweight champ Anthony Joshua might fight in his upcoming defence on November 26. With Hughie Fury’s October 29 fight with Andy Ruiz Jr now off, Fury was a possible option for Joshua’s upcoming defence – and Peter Fury has said on twitter that his son would definitely take the fight, and that he himself would accept it if the money was right.

continue

Alexander Dimitrenko says Joseph Parker is “not ready” for him, says he lost to Carlos Takam

Alexander Dimitrenko says Joseph Parker is “not ready” for him, says he lost to Carlos Takam

Alexander Dimitrenko has arrived in New Zealand ahead of his October 1 fight against unbeaten Joseph Parker, and the experienced Ukrainian says that it will be just this, his experience, that sees him to victory over the current IBF number-one contender. But Dimitrenko, ten years the older man at age 34, says he does not look at Parker as an unbeaten fighter – Dimitrenko says he saw Parker’s big win over Carlos Takam and that he felt Takam won the bout.

continue

Price trainer Coldwell: “If not [Joshua next] we’ll fight Joseph Parker in order to get the opportunity”

Price trainer Coldwell: “If not [Joshua next] we’ll fight Joseph Parker in order to get the opportunity”

David Price really wants a shot at IBF heavyweight champ Anthony Joshua – the man he revealed last week he flattened in sparring many moons ago. Price, under new trainer Dave Coldwell, is finally finding his “nasty side,” according to the trainer who spoke with Sky Sports today. Coldwell says Price is “fed up of being ridiculed and written off,” and now has “the devil in him” as he trains and looks for his next fight.

Coldwell says Price will fight like the huge puncher he is from now on; so it’s goodbye, nice guy, hello merciless puncher. At least that’s what Coldwell says, and he is “loving it.”

continue

Parker’s trainer Kevin Barry: “Joshua is talking to other camps at the moment”

Parker’s trainer Kevin Barry: “Joshua is talking to other camps at the moment”

Unbeaten Joseph Parker’s team feel the fight the New Zealander is mandated to have, against reigning IBF heavyweight champ Anthony Joshua, will almost certainly come next year, not this year. Speaking to the media in New Zealand, Team-Parker announced an October 1st date with experienced fringe contender Alexander Dimitrenko and it was also announced how Parker, unbeaten at 20-0, will then almost certainly have another fight after that; while waiting for the shot at Joshua.

“All we know is [Anthony] Joshua is talking to other camps at the moment,” Parker’s trainer Kevin Barry said as reported by stuff.co.nz. “He’s definitely not talking to us. The fact we’re taking this fight on October 1st, there is a pretty fair assumption we’re not fighting Joshua in November. After this fight there’s every indication that, everything going well, we’ll fight another tall guy later in the year.”

continue

Joseph Parker likely to get Alexander Dimitrenko test as final prep for shot at Joshua

Joseph Parker likely to get Alexander Dimitrenko test as final prep for shot at Joshua

It’s not official yet, but New Zealand media feel tomorrow’s press conference hosted by Joseph Parker’s promoter Dean Lonergan will confirm how the IBF mandatory challenger will face experienced Ukrainian Alexander Dimitrenko in his next fight, penciled in for September. Parker, unbeaten at 20-0 and coming off a 4th-round stoppage of Solomon Haumono, is expected to get his shot at Anthony Joshua late this year or early next year, but he and his team want to gain more experience before the expected trip to London. And this is where 34-year-old Dimitrenko comes in (or is expected to come in according to a report by The New Zealand Herald).

Dimitrenko, 38-2(24) is big at 6’7” and he has mixed it with some good fighters during his 15 year pro career – including Eddie Chambers, Albert Sosnowski and Kubrat Pulev. Parker will be facing the tallest pro opponent of his career thus far and he and his team obviously feel the fight will be great preparation for the Joshua fight.

continue

Fresh off his stoppage win over Haumono, Joseph Parker will box another prep fight for Joshua shot; opponent to be named Tuesday

Fresh off his stoppage win over Haumono, Joseph Parker will box another prep fight for Joshua shot; opponent to be named Tuesday

Unbeaten heavyweight contender Joseph Parker certainly likes to keep active. The 24-year-old New Zealander picked up a 4th-round stoppage win over Solomon Haumono yesterday and he is expected to get his mandatory shot at IBF heavyweight ruler Anthony Joshua late this year or early next. But in the meantime, the 20-0 contender will have another “tune-up” or “prep” fight ahead of the big one.

His promoter Dean Lonergan informed Stuff.co.nz how he will make an official announcement next Tuesday in Auckland, with Parker’s next opponent to be named. Lonergan did not give too much away yesterday, but he did say how Parker will, in his next fight, be facing “something we haven’t faced before.”

continue

Joseph Parker stops Solomon Haumono in 4th-round – Team-Haumono launch protest

YouTube video

Today in Christchurch, New Zealand, unbeaten IBF mandatory heavyweight contender Joseph Parker scored a dominant 4th-round stoppage over a game Solomon Haumono. A right uppercut to the head floored Haumono in the 4th, the 40-year-old being halted after 95-seconds of the session. Parker is now 20-0(17) and he awaits his shot at IBF champ Anthony Joshua. Haumono falls to 24-3-2(21) but he and his team have launched a protest insisting he was the victim of a short count.

continue

Parker vs Haumono: Trainer Justin Fortune says Solomon Haumono hits as hard as Foreman, needs to “make Parker angry”

Parker vs Haumono: Trainer Justin Fortune says Solomon Haumono hits as hard as Foreman, needs to “make Parker angry”

During his time in boxing, trainer and former pro Justin Fortune has tasted, either in a real fight or in sparring, the power of Lennox Lewis, Tommy Morrison and, arguably the freakishly strongest puncher of them all, George Foreman. Fortune, speaking before the media in Sydney this week ahead of his fighter Solomon Haumono’s clash with unbeaten IBF number-one contender Joseph Parker, said Haumono has power to match all three.

continue

Parker’s manager: “How is AJ going to go when he’s eating Joseph’s jab all night?”

Parker’s manager: “How is AJ going to go when he’s eating Joseph’s jab all night?”

Unbeaten Joseph Parker, the mandatory challenger for Anthony Joshua and his IBF heavyweight title, was confident before this past Saturday’s defence by Joshua against Dominic Breazeale, but the New Zealander and his team are even more confident of taking the title when the fight happens; so says Parker’s manager, Dean Lonergan. Speaking with Sky Sports, Lonergan said he wants the fight to happen this year, ideally in November or December, and that he has no doubt his man will win when the big night comes.

continue

Hearn says it could be Joseph Parker next for Anthony Joshua

Hearn says it could be Joseph Parker next for Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua fought through a virus in the lead-up to last night’s 7th-round stoppage win over a game Dominic Breazeale, his promoter Eddie Hearn tells Sky Sports. Hearn says there was even a possibility the fight could have been called off. But Joshua won as we know, he retained his IBF heavyweight belt for the first time and he now looks ahead to his next fight. Hearn said Joshua will “take a long rest” first, but that he could return in November; with mandatory challenger Joseph Parker being a strong possibility.

continue