De La Hoya eager to make Cotto-Canelo fight

De La Hoya eager to make Cotto-Canelo fight

While it’s looking like the May 2nd fight between WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez might not get made, Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions is still very eager with hope that the fight can still get made. De La Hoya believes the Cotto-Canelo fight is the second biggest fight that can be made behind only the Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Manny Pacquiao fight.

De La Hoya believes that a fight between Canelo and Cotto will attract a lot of women. It’s unclear just how many women it would attract and why. Presumably, De La Hoya feels that the Cotto-Canelo fight would attract a lot of women because of the 24-year-old Canelo. However, if the women that the fight attracts don’t live in the United States then it really won’t matter that it’s attracting women, because the idea is for the fight to bring in a ton of pay-per-view buys on HBO.

continue

Cotto waiting to hear back from Canelo’s side in negotiations

Cotto waiting to hear back from Canelo’s side in negotiations

WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto says he recently detailed what he’s looking for to make money wise for his fight against the red-haired Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on May 2nd. He’s now waiting to hear back from his side to see what they say about it.

The Cotto-Canelo fight, if it gets made, will be televised on HBO pay-per-view, and it’s expected to be a huge money fight where both fighters will likely get a career payday if everything goes right.

continue

Kellerman: Mayweather needs Pacquiao to keep from getting bumped by Cotto-Canelo on Cinco de Mayo

Kellerman: Mayweather needs Pacquiao to keep from getting bumped by Cotto-Canelo on Cinco de Mayo

HBO commentator Max Kellerman thinks that Floyd Mayweather Jr is in a tough position to where he’ll either need to move off his next fight date on May 2nd on the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo or he’ll need to accept a fight against Manny Pacquiao. Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank are both working on setting up a fight between Miguel Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez for May 2nd.

If Mayweather, who likes to fight on the Mexican holidays, decides that he absolutely must fight on Cinco de Mayo on May 2nd, then he’s going to need to have a popular enough opponent to bump Canelo and Cotto from off that date. Pacquiao would be the only opponent popular enough to move Canelo-Cotto off that date.

continue

Mayweather Jr. vs. Pacquiao on May 2: Bob Arum says that’s Canelo’s date

Mayweather Jr. vs. Pacquiao on May 2: Bob Arum says that’s Canelo's date

In a recent interview with Showtime’s Steve Farhood, Floyd Mayweather Jr. made it absolutely clear that he is ready to cross the ropes and face Manny Pacquiao on May 2 of next year:

“I’d love to fight Manny Pacquiao”;”Bob Arum is stopping the fight. We have been trying to make this fight happen behind the scenes for years now, but the fans and the people have been fooled because they have been listening to people on just one side. Now it’s time for us to talk. We want to fight. We’re ready. Let’s make it happen May 2nd, Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao. Let’s do it!”, “Let’s make this fight happen for the people and for the fans, Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao, May 2nd, ‘Cinco de Mayweather,” were some of the things that Money May stated during the interview.

continue

De la Hoya, Canelo Forced to Wait on Cotto

De la Hoya, Canelo Forced to Wait on Cotto

Within the past two weeks, it seems that talks between the Cotto and Canelo camps have gone from hot to cold. What initially appeared to be on the brink of getting done has suddenly presented a reality which boast the polar opposite. Last week, Oscar De la Hoya said that he and Canelo had signed the deal, and were simply waiting on Team Cotto.

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, one source close to Cotto made it very clear that this “process” is not quite a done deal. When asked specifically, the source stated “while Canelo is the fight we want, we’re also cognizant of the fact that we do have options; most which will listen more and dictate less”.

continue

Cotto-Canelo still not agreed to

Cotto-Canelo still not agreed to

On Tuesday, Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya announced that his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) had agreed to terms for a title shot against WBC 160lb champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) on May 2nd in 2014 on Cinco de Mayo.

A lot of boxing fans assumed that the fight negotiations were nearing the end and that fight would soon be signed. However, it’s still got a ways to go before the fight is a done deal for May 2nd, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN. Canelo agreed to terms, but the A-aide, Cotto, still has to agree to the contract term and it could take a while before he agrees to the contract language.

continue

Bradley targeting the winner of Cotto vs. Canelo

Bradley targeting the winner of Cotto vs. Canelo

Tim Bradley (31-1, 12 KOs) is targeting the winner of the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Miguel Cotto fight next year for who he’d like to have his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank set him up. Gennady Golovkin would like to fight the winner of the Canelo-Cotto fight, but the chances are very good that if Cotto gets past Canelo, boxing fans are going to see Cotto in against Bradley rather than Golovkin.

Cotto’s WBC middleweight title may or may not be on the line for a Bradley fight depending on if Cotto vacates or if the World Boxing Council strips him by then for not facing Golovkin. Last Saturday, Golovkin defeated Marco Antonio Rubio by a 2nd round knockout to become the WBC interim middleweight champion.

continue

Mayweather: If Canelo-Cotto think they can compete [for my dates], then let’s see

Mayweather: If Canelo-Cotto think they can compete [for my dates], then let’s see

WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (47-0, 26 KOs) is welcoming World Boxing Council (WBC) middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez to try and fight on the same dates as him in 2015 in May and September.

Mayweather feels that his pay-per-view numbers are better than those two fighters, and he believes he’s the guy that boxing fans will want to see if they have a choice to pick between which pay-per-view event to see if they’re competing on different networks.

continue

Canelo will rest his injured ankle for 6 weeks, then look to fight on Cinco de Mayo, says De La Hoya

Canelo will rest his injured ankle for 6 weeks, then look to fight on Cinco de Mayo, says De La Hoya

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) will be resting his injured ankle for the next 6 weeks, says his promoter Oscar De La Hoya. Canelo has a muscle strain that has lingered for the past 3 months since before his last fight against Erislandy Lara, says De La Hoya. Last Monday, Golden Boy Promotions announced that Canelo’s December 6th fight against former IBF welterweight champion Joshua Clottey was cancelled due to Canelo’s ankle injury.

Instead of rescheduling it, De La Hoya says Canelo will probably stay out of the ring until next May and then look to fight Miguel Cotto in an HBO pay-per-view bout. This is the fight that De La Hoya and Canelo both want. It’s the biggest fight in boxing right now other than Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Manny Pacquiao.

continue

Cotto-Canelo will come close to 2 million PPV buys, says De La Hoya

Cotto-Canelo will come close to 2 million PPV buys, says De La Hoya

Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions has high hopes for the proposed pay-per-view fight next year between Golden Boy’s flagship fighter former WBA/WBC junior middleweight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) and WBC 160lb champ Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) on HBO. De La Hoya is projecting that this fight will bring in close to 2 million pay-per-view buys.

This is a huge number when you look at the fact that the recent pay-per-view fights for both guys have been around 300,000. De La Hoya is assuming that when you get Cotto and Canelo together, it’ll bring a much bigger number than when they’re facing other opposition.

continue