Nicholas Walters Likely to Return on December 12th says Arum

Nicholas Walters Likely to Return on December 12th says Arum

Unbeaten Jamaican “Axe Man,” Nicholas Walters, will be returning to the ring against a TBA opponent on December 12th, his promoter Bob Arum has revealed via ESPN.com.

The brakes were seemingly put on Walters’ sharp rise up the boxing ladder when he failed to make the 126 lb limit for his last fight, against Miguel Marriaga back in June, dropping his WBA (super) strap on the scales in the process, and now, as many thought he would, Arum has confirmed that a move to 130 lb is the most likely scenario for his fighter.

continue

Bob Arum: ‘No Catch-Weight For Walters v Lomachenko’

Bob Arum: 'No Catch-Weight For Walters v Lomachenko'

As soon as Jamaica’s Nicholas Walter’s appeared at the weigh in ahead of his WBA 126 lb fight last Saturday against Miguel Marriaga, those in attendance and watching proceedings elsewhere could see immediately that he was drained.

After missing weight and dropping his title on the scales, the fans who had been looking forward to the mooted unification fight with WBO featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko, were left scratching their heads, wondering if it will indeed now happen if the “Axe Man” is no longer able to make the weight and intends on moving up.

continue

Walters dominates Marriaga; Verdejo beats Najera

YouTube video

Using a big weight advantage of 10 pounds, former WBA featherweight champion Nicholas Walters (26-0, 21 KOs) cruised to a 12 round unanimous decision over Miguel Marriaga (20-1, 18 KOs) at Madison Square Garden in New York. Walters dropped Marriaga in the 9th round with a right hand, and punished him with hard head and body shots throughout. The judges scored the fight 118-109, 117-110 and 119-108.

continue

Walters v Marriaga / Selby Keeping An Eye On Things

YouTube video

Jamaica’s “Axe-Man” Nicholas Walters puts his unbeaten record and WBA 126lb strap on the line on Saturday night when he takes on Colombian Miguel Marriaga at Madison Square Garden.

With 18 early finishes from 20 fights, Marriaga presents a significant danger to the dominant Walters – and holds a notable amateur victory of the Jamaican champion – something he will be looking to repeat at the weekend.

continue

Walters vs. Marriaga & Verdejo vs. Najera: Saturday, June 13 Live on HBO

Walters vs. Marriaga & Verdejo vs. Najera: Saturday, June 13 Live on HBO

NEW YORK (May 12, 2015) — Undefeated World Boxing Association (WBA) featherweight world champion NICHOLAS “Axe Man” WALTERS of Jamaica, and the boxing gem of Puerto Rico, undefeated No. 3 world-rated lightweight contender FELIX “El Diamante” VERDEJO will headline, in separate bouts, a world championship card in New York during Puerto Rican Day Parade weekend. With 34 knockout victories between them, fireworks are all but assured for this event which will take place Saturday, June 13, in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Both will be facing undefeated opponents. Walters, who is in the third year of his championship reign, will defend his world title against Top-10 contender MIGUEL “The Scorpion” MARRIAGA of Colombia. Verdejo, in his live HBO debut, will make the first defense of his newly-won World Boxing Organization (WBO) Latino lightweight title against IVAN “Bam Bam” NAJERA, of San Antonio, TX. Both fights will be televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark®, beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT.

continue

2014/2015 Reviews & Previews: Nicholas Walters, Guilliermo Rigondeaux, Leo Santa Cruz, Vasyl Lomachenko, Sergey Kovalev, Adonis Stevenson, & Jean Pascal

2014/2015 Reviews & Previews: Nicholas Walters, Guilliermo Rigondeaux, Leo Santa Cruz, Vasyl Lomachenko, Sergey Kovalev, Adonis Stevenson, & Jean Pascal

(Note: In the fourth installment of a week long breakdown, boxing scribe Vivek “Vito” Wallace analyzes where today’s top fighters stand, and whether or not 2015 could be the year many of them fall. This week long analysis will cover over 30 top fighters from around the world)

GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX

For the best boxer of this era to rise from the Cuban ranks, 2014 was far from eventful. After a stunning 2013 that saw him defeat both Donaire and Agbeko, 2014 saw him destroy an unknown fighter in China, and forcibly scrape himself off the canvas twice against an unknown fighter in Japan. Definitely not the level of competition you’d like to see from a fighter none as “boring”.

continue

Boxing’s Best of 2014

In what turned out to be a somewhat lackluster year for the sport, there were some bright spots for boxing fans in 2014. The validation of stars like Sergey Kovalev, Terence Crawford and Nicholas Walters. The rejuvenation of Miguel Cotto and Manny Pacquiao. The continued rise of Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. This writer decided to share some of his favorites from the past twelve months below (check out the videos to see more). Let’s take a look at the pugilistic best of the year that was.

Montero’s “Rising Star”: Nicholas Walters

The “Axe Man” is one boxer who truly lives up to this nickname. He kicked off his year by chopping down former titlist Vic Darchinyan in Macau, then chopped down former pound for pound star Nonito Donaire in Los Angeles. The bilingual bomber can also box, as he showed a top-notch jab in his dismantling of Donaire. Fighting in a loaded featherweight division, the Jamaican native built most of his career in Panama and is fluent in Spanish. A consummate professional with a humble attitude and plenty of charisma, the sky is the limit for Nicholas Walters.

continue

Nicholas Walters stops Donaire in six

http://youtu.be/xutTOL52I0U

In the “Mexican Style” co-feature, Nonito Donaire squared off against Jamaica’s Nicholas Walters before a packed house at the StubHub Center. Both men put their WBA featherweight titles on the line. If you’re asking yourself “how can both fighters have titles from the same sanctioning body in the same weight class?” – well that’s because the WBA is atrocious. None the less, this was a terrific bout between two of the best featherweights in the world, and they didn’t disappoint.

continue

GGG puts Rubio down for the count; Donaire flashes briefly then flickers out at hands of Walters

GGG puts Rubio down for the count; Donaire flashes briefly then flickers out at hands of Walters

The StubHub Center, Carson City, CA kept adding seating, and the fans gobbled them up. Fans wanted to see Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire 33-2-0 (21 KO) squash Nicholas Walters 23-0-0 (21 KO) a rising star from Montego Bay, Jamaica, who learned his trade in Panama. They also eagerly wanted to witness Gennady GGG Golovkin get his 18th straight knockout. The build up for a Mexican Style battle was nothing more than a promotional tactic. Not many gave Rubio much of a chance. They were right.

First, what happened to the Flash. He put it best when he said, “He (Walters) beat the [expletive] out of me.” All you had to do was look at his face for convincing evidence. Both eyes were cut and swollen, and the rest of his face was also marked up. Walters was relatively unmarked, and was only in danger once in the second round when Donaire caught him with his vaunted left hook. It happened at the end of the round, and Walters wobbled back to his corner.

continue

Donaire: I’m not ready to give up my spot to Walters

Donaire: I’m not ready to give up my spot to Walters

WBA Super World featherweight champion Nonito Donaire (33-2, 21 KOs) says he’s not ready to give up his spot to the little known 28-year-old Nicholas Walters (24-0, 20 KOs) in their fight later on tonight on HBO Championship Boxing from the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

The 31-year-old Donaire thinks he’s still got enough in the tank to get past the likes of Walters. However, Donaire has not looked good in his last several bouts, and there are some boxing fans who think that he played injured in his last fight against Simpiwe Vetyeka in order to win a world title in 5 rounds instead of going the full distance.

continue