Last night in Phoenix, former great Roy Jones Junior destroyed part-time boxer/MMA fighter Vyron Phillips with a crushing 2nd-round KO. The 47-year-old legend, taking part in something of a novelty bout – with Phillips set to pick up $100,000 if he won – dropped Phillips flat on his face with a right hand shot. The fight was all over with less than a minute to go in the second-round.
Roy Jones Jr.
Roy Jones Junior will fight Vyron Phillips in a cruiserweight affair this Sunday in Phoenix
The once great Roy Jones Junior, a guaranteed future Hall of Famer, insists on fighting on. Even the brutal and quite sad to see KO the once untouchable master suffered at the hands of big-hitting Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli in Russia was not enough to convince the 47-year-old to walk away. Jones Junior, and his co-promoters at URShow, came up with what you could call a novel idea in Jones fighting a fan, with the fan offered the sum of $100,000 as payment if he were to defeat the living legend.
The Arizona State Commission said no to this idea, however, insisting Jones Junior fight an actual fighter. Enter sometime MMA, sometime boxer Vyron Phillips, who has been granted a license, along with Jones, by the Commission to fight this Sunday evening in Phoenix. According to a piece on RingTV.com, the Jones-Phillips fight, a boxing match, not an MMA bout, will be fought at the cruiserweight limit of 200-pounds and will be scheduled for either six or eight-rounds.
Roy Jones Junior to “fight” in bizarre pay-per-view event – against “a fan!”
It’s one of those stories that, when you read it, you have to double check to see if you really have read correctly. Once great multi-weight king Roy Jones Junior – who recently announced how, contrary to some reports that said he had retired, made it clear he has not yet done so – will indeed fight again. Sort of.
It’s up on a number of boxing sites, so it must be true: Jones, 47, will “fight a fan” in a March 20th pay-per-view event in Phoenix that will also feature MMA and wrestling bouts.
Living Legend Roy Jones Junior insists he has NOT retired, yet
Over the last day or two, a few stories surfaced saying how former multi-weight king Roy Jones Junior had, finally, retired. Jones, last seen being brutally knocked out by another veteran in Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli, SHOULD have called it quits years ago, so most people say. But, in taking to social media, the former pound-for-pound master said he has not hung his gloves up quite yet.
“No official retirement yet. Maybe one coming, but hasn’t come yet. That will be MY announcement to make,” Jones wrote.
Open Letter to Roy Jones Jr.
As a scribe of the sport for over a decade and a fan for many more, what we witnessed this past Saturday qualified as one of the most troubling moments I’ve ever personally witnessed. In the aftermath, I sat quietly and analyzed all the rhetoric online from a mass of fans who felt they had the answer to the question, “why” (does Roy Jones continue to fight)? The overwhelming response of course was harsh condemnation. “Maybe he needs the money”…..”He’s gotta be broke”….yada, yada, yada. Neither of those possibilities could be proven, but going deeper in thought, revealed an answer that probably could.
Maccarinelli aims for world title after Jones Jr beatdown
Enzo Maccarinelli returned to his dynamite punching best with a fourth round stoppage of Roy Jones Jnr at the VTB Arena in Moscow last night and hailed the former American great.
Roy Jones ‘Ideal Opportunity’ for Enzo Mac says Frank Warren
Whether it ends up being for the WBA (sup) 200 lb title or not, veteran British promoter Frank Warren has claimed that 46 year old Roy Jones Jr (62-8, 45ko) is the ‘ideal’ fight for Enzo Maccarinelli (40-7, 32ko) at this late stage of his career.
Earlier rumours about a dust-up between the American former great and the 35 year old Welshman became true last week at a public unveiling in Russia, where the bout is set to take place on Dec. 12.
Roy Jones vs Enzo Mac on Dec. 12 in Russia for WBA 200 lb Strap
It’s been confirmed this morning [Weds], that long faded, 46 year old Roy Jones Jr (62-8, 45ko), will square off against former world cruiserweight champion, Enzo Maccarinelli (40-7, 32ko) in Moscow, on December 12.
Despite neither man being in the latest WBA 200 lb rankings, they will contest the organization’s top tier, ‘super’ belt, much to the bemusement of many fans across social media this morning.
Jones Jr: Twists & Turns in Cruiserweight Title Plot
Long faded 46 year old legend Roy Jones Jr, is continuing in his quest to win an elusive cruiserweight world title, going on record to say he will pursue Brits Ovil McKenzie OR Enzo Maccarinelli in pursuit of that aim.
Last week the news broke that Jones was seeking to fight Welsh former champion “Big Mac” in his new second home – Russia, although it was unclear how that fight would lead to a world title given Maccarinelli no longer holds one and hasn’t for many years – since being destroyed by David Haye in their massive 2008 unification. The Welshman fights a TBA next week in Newport over 10 rounds, and needs a win according to Warrior Promotions in order to secure any potential fight with Jones down the line.
Roy Jones Jr Set to Fight Enzo Maccarinelli on Nov 28th in Russia
New Russian citizen and long faded modern great, Roy Jones Jr, has confirmed that he will fight Welsh former cruiserweight champion Enzo Maccarinelli on November 28th in the former Soviet state, as he continues his quest for an elusive Cruiserweight world title.
Maccarinelli, now 35, is penciled in to box on October 10th in Newport, Wales in a scheduled 8 round contest on a Warrior Promotions card against a TBA opponent, although Jones is under the impression that the Welshman will be boxing for a title – a title he told TMZ.com that will be on the line when the two eventually square off in November.