Up until his controversial September draw with Canelo Alvarez, world middleweight king Gennady Golovkin had never been pushed farther, or closer than when he met Daniel Jacobs in March of this year. As fans know, “Miracle Man” Jacobs was ultra-competitive against Triple-G (suffering a flash knockdown but at no time really appearing hurt or buzzed), eventually losing via close, some said controversial, decision.
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez
Canelo boxing news and latest headlines
Canelo set to be ringside for ‘Frampton Reborn’ + Undercard Updates
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will be cheering for a shock upset on Saturday night as the Mexican superstar will be ringside in Belfast to support fellow Guadalajara native Horacio Garcia against hometown hero Carl Frampton.
‘The Jackal’ tops a massive ‘Frampton Reborn’ fight bill this weekend in what will be his first home bout in over two-and-a-half years, live on BT Sport and BoxNation, at the SSE Odyssey Arena.
Will GGG-Canelo II get done any time soon? Don’t hold your breath
It’s far from the kind of news fights fans eager to see a return fight between middleweight king Gennady Golovkin and Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez want to hear (and who doesn’t want to see a sequel – ideally one with a definitive ending – to the September draw!), but Golden Boy head Oscar De La Hoya has conceded how talks for the fight are “going slow.”
Canelo-Golovkin negotiations going slow says De La Hoya
Rematch negotiations between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin are going very slow according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya. Golovkin is still the main target for Canelo’s next fight on May 5th, but he’s not the only one in that is being considered.
Should Golovkin-Canelo II take place somewhere other than Las Vegas?
Middleweight king Gennady Golovkin signed a promotional deal with Tecate earlier this week, as his promoter Tom Loeffler tweeted. GGG and Loeffler were in Dallas to sign the deal and, according to Loeffler, to scout possible venues for Triple-G’s next fight.
Of course all fans hope and anticipate that Golovkin’s next fight will be a return showdown with Canelo Alvarez. This one is a rematch that simply has to happen, and the last we heard, it is being targeted for May of 2018. But where should the return super -fight take place?
Golovkin to sit and wait on Canelo fight until May 5
Gennady Golovkin is going to stay inactive for the next 7 months and wait until the Saul Canelo Alvarez rematch on May 5, 2018, says his promoter Tom Loeffler. He says Golovkin is (37-0-1, 33 KOs) is willing to sit on the sidelines and not fight if he can get the rematch with Canelo (49-1-2, 34 KOs).
The problem is the rematch still hasn’t been signed. If Golovkin is going risk throwing away 7 months of his career, he’s going to need a signed contract for the Canelo fight and soon. It doesn’t make sense for Golovkin o not fight in December if Canelo and Golden Boy Promotions aren’t producing a contract for the May 5 fight.
Golovkin wants fair playing field for Canelo rematch
With the questionable judges’ scores from the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Gennady “GGG” Golovkin mega-fight that took place on September 16 last month in Las Vegas, Nevada, promoter Tom Loeffler says Gennady and him want a fair playing field when it comes to the rematch against Canelo next year.
Loeffler confident Canelo-GGG fight happens in 2018
Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions is optimistic that he can put together a rematch between middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) for May 5 on Cinco de Mayo next year.
Loeffler says Canelo and Golovkin both wants the fight, so he feels there’s a good chance that it takes place next year.
WBC orders Canelo vs. GGG rematch
In an empty gesture, the World Boxing Council has ordered a rematch between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) and IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs). It’s unclear why the WBC even bothered to do this, as Canelo didn’t fight for their belt in his contest with Triple G on September 16 last month at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Tom Loeffler says GGG would fight Canelo again this December “if they wanted”
As fight fans know, it took quite a stretch of time, and much negotiating, before Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez finally met in their big fight – and most people will tell you it was Canelo, or more accurately Golden Boy, who was to blame for the fight taking so long to get signed, sealed and delivered.
The question fans have now is, will it take such a long time to get the must-see rematch sorted out? No-one was happy with the drawn verdict that was handed in after 12 engrossing rounds of action on September 16, with both warriors claiming they deserved a win. With such sheer public demand for a rematch, one that would in all likelihood be an even bigger fight than the first encounter, it seems both fighters must not look anywhere else for their next fight.