Deontay Wilder Brings Heavyweight Championship Back To America!

Deontay Wilder Brings Heavyweight Championship Back To America!

(Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) And the new WBC Heavyweight World Champion…

America finally has its heavyweight world champion as Alabama’s Deontay Wilder dethroned defending champion Bermane Stiverne via unanimous decision (118-109, 119-108, 120-107) Saturday on SHOWTIME® from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Wilder (33-0, 32 KOs), who had never fought past the fourth round and had knocked out all 32 of his professional opponents, boxed brilliantly behind a stellar jab to become the first U.S.-born heavyweight champion in nearly a decade. The towering 6-foot-7 Tuscaloosa native capitalized on his reach advantage, jabbing consistently to set up a powerful straight right.

continue

Wilder decisions Stiverne; Santa Cruz defeats Ruiz

Wilder decisions Stiverne; Santa Cruz defeats Ruiz

(Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) Deontay Wilder (33-0, 32 KOs) kept his unbeaten record but he was extended for the first time in his career in having to go the distance to defeat WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (24-2-1, 21 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision in front of 8,300 boxing fans at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Wilder, 6’7”, hurt Stiverne in the 2nd and 7th rounds with big right hand shots. However, he was unable to finish him off. Wilder was arguably robbed of a knockdown in the 2nd when he staggered Stiverne with a right hand, causing him to stumble and fall.

continue

Cotto-Canelo fight off, says De La Hoya

Cotto-Canelo fight off, says De La Hoya

The highly anticipated bout between WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez won’t be taking place, according to Golden Boy Promotions vice president Oscar De La Hoya. Instead, De La Hoya will be looking to match his fighter Canelo up against possibly middleweight David Lemieux or James Kirkland.

WBA 160 pound champion Gennady Golovkin’s name isn’t being talked about for Canelo.

“Oscar just told me no Cotto-Canelo. ‘The deal is off the table.’ Said Cotto went past 5th deadline last night. #boxing,” Dan Rafael of ESPN.com reported earlier today.

continue

Don King wants to match Stiverne with Tyson Fury if he gets past Wilder

Don King wants to match Stiverne with Tyson Fury if he gets past Wilder

If WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne gets past the formidable Deontay Wilder tonight in their fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, Stiverne’s promoter Don King is reportedly interested in matching the 36-year-old Stiverne up with unbeaten heavyweight contender Tyson Fury in a fight that could take place in the UK if Fury accepts the fight.

There are obviously a lot of ifs involved, because it would require not only a win by Stiverne tonight, and he’s no lock to beat Deontay, but it would also require for Fury to choose not to face heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

continue

The Boxcino Championship Tournaments are Back for 2015 on ESPN2

Last year ESPN2 aired the inaugural ‘2014 Boxcino Championship’ tournament for the 135 lb Lightweight and 160 lb Middleweight divisions. In the lightweight finals, Petr Petrov (35-4-2, 17 KO) of Madrid, Spain defeated Fernando Carcamo (17-6, 13 KO’s) of Ciudad Obregon, Mexico by TKO in round 8. In the middleweight finals, Willie Monroe Jr. (19-1, 6 KO) of Rochester, NY defeated then undefeated Brandon Adams (15-1, 10 KO) of Los Angeles, CA via unanimous decision.

continue

Canelo looking at plan B option, Arum offering Tim Bradley

Canelo looking at plan B option, Arum offering Tim Bradley

Mexican star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) has about run out of patience in waiting on his opponent WBC middleweight champ Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) to sign the contract for a fight against him. Canelo, who is kind of used to getting his own way in negotiations, has told his promoter Oscar De La Hoya, the president of Golden Boy Promotions, that he wants to have him start looking for another opponent for him to fight. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is saying that Tim Bradley is a possibility for Canelo to fight next.

Bradley is a considerable step down from Cotto, both in size and popularity. Canelo-Bradley isn’t a fight that would be near big enough for the 24-year-old Canelo to boot Floyd Mayweather Jr from the May 2nd fight date that he has his eyes on, so Canelo would need to have an open mind about moving off that date. Canelo has insisted for the past month that he plans on fighting on May 2nd, the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo.

continue

Stiverne: Wilder won’t make it past the 6th round

Stiverne: Wilder won’t make it past the 6th round

(Photo credit: Naoki Fakuda) Tonight’s fight between WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs) and his hard-hitting challenger Deontay Wilder (32-0, 32 KOs) will be a short one, according to Stiverne. The 36-year-old Stiverne expects to get the inexperienced Wilder out of there by the 6th round by knocking him out in a painful fashion.

Stiverne notes that Deontay has positives in his game such as his power and height, but he feels that he’s not ready to step up so quickly at this juncture in his career.

“I think he’s [Wilder] a fraud. I don’t think he deserves to be fighting for the title and that’s why not with it,” Stiverne said via Fightnews.com. “But what is worse is that he is not even ready to fight at this level. I would be surprised if this fight goes more than 5 or 6 rounds.”

continue

Monroe out-slicks Vera

In the main bout of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights, 2014 Boxcino middleweight champion Willie “El Mongoose” Monroe Junior (19-1, 6 kos) scored a ten round unanimous decision over Brian Vera (23-9, 14 kos) at the Turning Stone Resort and Casino in Verona.

The slick New York southpaw could hardly have been more impressive as he dominated the 33 year old Texan veteran putting on a wonderful exhibition of boxing.

continue

Mayweather-Pacquiao – Espinoza: ” If we were running a race we would still have a ways to go”

Mayweather-Pacquiao - Espinoza: " If we were running a race we would still have a ways to go"

In an interview with USA Today, Showtime’s Stephen Espinoza has made it clear that while both sides want the fight to happen, finalizing the deal is not yet around the corner.

“We’re making meaningful progress but if we were running a race we would still have a ways to go. Everyone is trying to get to the finish line as soon as possible,” said Espinoza via USAtoday.com.

continue

Bermane Stiverne: You will never ever hear about Deontay Wilder after this fight

Bermane Stiverne: You will never ever hear about Deontay Wilder after this fight

(Photo credit: Naoki Fakuda) If everything goes right for WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs) he’ll be putting an end to the Deontay Wilder (32-0, 32 KOs) hype and sending him off into obscurity after giving him an embarrassing thrashing at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Stiverne figures that if he knocks the 6’7” Deontay Wilder in shocking fashion, Deontay will be forgotten by boxing fans after this fight and written off as a serious heavyweight contender. As it is, Deontay has been compared frequently with 6’7” American heavyweight Michael Grant, who started off his career with a near identical record of 31-0.

continue