March 23, 2009 — WBC CABOFE Middleweight Champion Miguel Espino (20-2-1, 9 KO’s) continued his winning ways by stopping former light middleweight champion Alex “Terra” Garcia in an impressive fashion this past Saturday night at the Playboy Mansion in Beverly Hills, California. In front of a packed celebrity crowd and TV sets all over the nation, Espino and Garcia traded shots for the first three rounds when Espino then dropped Garcia twice at the end of rounds’ four and five. After the sixth round, Garcia failed to come out for the seventh round which then led to a KO for Espino while retaining his WBC CABOFE title..
Long-time trainer John Bray had nothing but positive things to say about his pupil; “After a long year off, Miguel looked good and did what he had to do to continue his dream of being the Middleweight champion of the world. There is always room for improvement, but I was proud of the way he fought after taking a couple of hard shots from Garcia. It was a good fight and I’m looking forward to keeping him busy. “ Bray also added that: “Although Miguel was off for a year, it wasn’t because he wanted to be. He was set to fight three notable fighters but for some reason, negotiations failed weeks prior to each fight. I would have loved to keep him active but it just didn’t work out until this fight.”
When interviewed after the fight, Espino stated that: “After a year off, I felt rusty in the ring but I’m glad that I kept active in the gym the whole year and it paid off. Even though three fights failed to happen last year, I stayed busy at the gym (Fortune Gym) and just kept working hard, and like I said, it paid off. I was always in the gym preparing myself for a fight, even ready to take one on short notice. I take my hat off to Garcia, he fought a good fight and now I’m just ready to take it to the next level in preparation for a world title shot.”
“Tattoo” Tom Mitchell Returns to Ring on May 2 at Patriot Center
Boxer to Fight Again in Memory of Fallen Daughter and Raise Money for Cancer Fund
FAIRFAX, VA (March 23, 2009) – After fighting valiantly in his professional boxing debut last November, Centreville boxer “Tattoo” Tom Mitchell (0-1) is preparing to return to the ring for a rematch against Yieta Johnson (1-2, 1 KO) on May 2 at the Jimmy Lange headlined Patriot Center card, but with a different mindset. His 18-year daughter, Shayla Mitchell, who provided tremendous motivation and even accompanied him to the ring on fight night, ultimately lost her struggle with cancer and passed away on January 28, 2009.
While the handyman-turned-inspirational boxer never intended to step back inside the square circle after losing by second-round technical knockout (TKO) to Johnson last year, a sense of continuing to fight – just as Shayla did every day while battling the deadly disease– and the opportunity to use the sport to help generate more awareness and raise funds for the worthy cause proved a powerful motivating force.
“One of the last things my daughter said to me before she passed away was ’Am I still brave Dad?’ “After she died I asked myself the same question,” said Mitchell, who plans to have several special guests accompany him to ring this time around.
Just like last time, the promoter has agreed to donate one-third of all of Mitchell’s personal tickets sales plus his entire fight purse to Growing Hope, a local 501(c) charitable organization. Ice Promotions presented the non-profit group with a check for over $7,000 as result of Mitchell’s efforts.
Inside the ring, Mitchell is working just as hard with the Alexandria Boxing Club (ABC) and trainers Dennis Porter and Kay Koroma who have generously donated their time and expertise to help prepare him for this bout. Johnson, meanwhile, who has expressed compassion for Mitchell’s plight especially as a father of three, still plans to go all out to win the rematch and not hold back against his opponent.
For information about Mitchell’s quest, including details on special events being planned and a regular journal that the fighter pens to his daughter, log onto www.stillbrave.com.
Great Falls, Virginia junior middleweight Jimmy Lange headlines the May 2 event and will fight for the WBC USNBC 154-pound championship title fight. Doors open at 6:30pm with the first fight set for 7:30pm. Tickets, priced at $20, $50, $75, $100, $150, $200, $300 and $500 (plus applicable service charges), can be purchased through Ticketmaster by logging onto www.ticketmaster.com, calling 703-573-SEAT, 202-397-SEAT or 410-547-SEAT or by visiting any Ticketmaster outlet, including the Patriot Center box office. For group sales and sponsorship opportunities, please call (703) 536-6060.
MATTHEWS-PASLEY ADDED TO LEGENDARY BLUE HORIZON CARD ON APRIL 3RD
Cruiserweight showdown added to packed card on April 3rd
PHILADELPHIA (March 23, 2009)—A very intriguing six round cruiserweight fight has been added to an already packed show that will take place at The Legendary Blue Horizon on Friday night, April 3rd.
The card is promoted by Vernoca L. Michael and Blue Horizon Boxing Promotions Inc.
Julio Cesar Matthews will risk his undefeated record when he takes on the streaking Kamrah Pasley in a bout scheduled for six rounds.
Matthews of Reading, PA has a record of 6-0 with five knockouts and has knocked out four straight opponents since returning from an eleven year hiatus from the ring.
The thirty-nine year old Matthews scored his most significant stoppages in his last two bouts when he first took out Chris Stallworth (9-1) in fifty-nine seconds on September 13th, 2009. In his last bout, Matthews scored a third round stoppage over William Bailey on December 5th in Reading.
Despite losing his first three bouts, Pasley was undeterred and it has paid off as he has won his last three bouts to get back to an even record of 3-3 with one knockout.
Those three losses came at The Legendary Blue Horizon so Pasley will be looking for redemption in The Blue Horizon ring.
Pasley has won all three of those bouts in 2009. The streak started with a third round stoppage of thirty-three fight veteran Cullen Rogers on January 16th. Then he scored a shocking unanimous decision over prospect Pedro Martinez (3-1) on January 31st. In his last bout, Pasley scored four round unanimous decision over debuting John Burgos on March 13th.
That fight was added to a much anticipated card that will feature one of the most talked about bouts in the city as undefeated Israeli sensation, Ran Nakash (17-0, 12 KO’s)takes on Philly-favorite Dave Brunelli (8-4, 3 KO’s) in a cruiserweight fight scheduled for eight rounds.
Last week, Team Brunelli guaranteed victory. Nakash will be arriving in Philadelphia this coming weekend and they will be sure to have a response to Brunelli’s proclamation.
In a much talked about co-feature, Tyric “Too Sweet” Robinson (9-3-1, 3 KO’s) battles Julias Edmonds (4-3) in a six round Jr. Welterweight “Philly Turf War” showdown.
Middleweight Gee Cullmer (15-1, 3 KO’s) takes on Anthony Little (7-11-1, 1 KO of Akron, Ohio in a bout scheduled for eight rounds.
Exciting super featherweight, Joselito Collado (6-0, 2 KO’s) returns to The Legendary Blue Horizon as he takes on Jason Rorie (2-2-2, 1 KO) of Winston-Salem, North Carolina in a bout scheduled for six rounds.
Taneal Goyco (1-0, 1 KO) tussles with Davit Davitshvili (0-1) in a battle of Philly based Cruiserweights scheduled for four rounds.
Derrick Bivins (1-0-1) of Philadelphia takes on Joseph Francisco (1-1) of Jacksboro, Tennessee in a Super Featherweight bout scheduled for four rounds.
Separate bouts involving welterweight Ronald Cruz (2-0, 1 KO) of Bethlehem, PA and New York based Jr. Welterweight Christian Martinez (1-0, 1 KO) will also be a part of this big night of boxing.
The show will be streamed LIVE!!!! All over the world on www.gofightlive.tv
Ticket prices for this great night of boxing are $200 for Queen Seating, $125 for Presidential seats, $65 for VIP, $55 for Ringside, and $45 for General Admission and can be purchased by calling The Legendary Blue Horizon at 1-215-763-0500. Doors open at 6:30 PM / 1st bout begins at 7:30 PM
The Legendary Blue Horizon is located at 1314 North Broad Street in Philadelphia, PA
For more information, log on to www.legendarybluehorizon.com
Derrick Samuels Ready to Dominate Roberto Valenzuela!
Tampa, FL – In coming up the hard way as a fighter, Derrick “Super” Samuels didn’t have the leisure of building up his record with handpicked opponents. This has caused his goal of reaching elite status in the Junior Welterweight division to hit a few speed bumps.
“When I fought Marvin Cordova, everyone in attendance knew who the real winner was” said Samuels, who lost a much disputed decision in Cordova’s hometown last August. “The outcome of the Richard Abril fight was extremely controversial as well.” “I got dropped by a good punch, got up within a few seconds of being knocked down and the referee called it off without warrant”, Samuels explained of his disappointing first round knockout loss.
“The most ironic part about it is that the same referee worked Nate Campbell’s beat down of Ricky Quiles (which took place on the same card as Samuels-Abril) and he didn’t stop that fight, even with ringside commentator Teddy Atlas screaming for a stoppage”, said Samuels, who holds a 16-4-1 (4 KO’s) pro ledger and is the current NABA-US 140 lb champion.
This Friday, Samuels will once again have a tough task at hand. The Orlando based southpaw will tangle with hardcore veteran Roberto Valenzuela in an eight round non-title contest, which is taking place at the A La Carte Event Pavilion in Tampa, Florida. Aside from having more than four times the amount of fights Samuels does, Valenzuela has tangled with countless prospects, contenders and champions. While a plethora of young fighters have been unable to rebound from early losses, Samuels’ experiences have only benefited him.
“The losses have definitely made me a better fighter and have humbled me” mentioned Samuels who will tangle with Valenzuela in the card’s main event. “They have also made me a better listener and a far better boxer. I used to go out there trying to knock my opponents out but now I train for the distance and to be the superior fighter. Without the losses, I wouldn’t have learned”, said Samuels.
The undercard will be topped by an eight round contest between local favorite Nicholas “The Assassin” Iannuzzi 9-0 (6 KO’s) of Tampa, FL and Theo Kruger 9-7-1 (3 KO’s), who hails from Port Charlotte, FL. The two Floridians will battle it out for the vacant NBA Cruiserweight title. Former amateur standout Adam Hubinger of Tampa by way of the Czech Republic will risk his 12-0 (10 KO’s) record over six rounds at Light Heavyweight against tough Philadelphian Jose “El Macho” Medina 14-13 (10 KO’s).
Tampa’s Jenna Shiver 7-4-1 (2 KO’s) and Christina Leadbeater 2-1 of PA will duke it out in a ladies four round Featherweight contest. Rounding out the card will be a four round Featherweight scrap between Tampa’s Charlie Serrano 7-2 (2 KO’s) and iron-chinned Vineash Rungea 2-12-3, who has impressively gone the distance in all of his fights.
Tickets for “Fight Night” at the A La Carte Event Pavilion can be ordered by going to Ticketmaster.com. The A La Carte Pavilion is located at 4050 Dana Shores Drive in Tampa, Florida. Doors open at 7 and the opening bell is scheduled for 8 pm. The card is being promoted by Starfight Productions.
Starfight Productions is based out of Tampa, Florida and is operated by Aaron Jacobs, Shea Bailey, Pete Fernandez, Mike Asmer, and Randy Feldman.